Saturday 4 February 2012

Bananas!

Who can resist those bananas in the super markets that are nice and brown? They are always on offer. Personally I can't stand the green bananas and never understand why everyone gets so upset with a few flecks on the bananas. I saw an advert on TV the other night advertising bananas don't get brown so fast.  I had to pull a face- who knows what they have genetically done to the humble banana? It is enough that poor strawberries have fish genes to help them be resistant to frost....

When I was a child my mother had a friend who owned a banana plantation. I remember the trees, the smell of the earth which was red clay and how when it rained we would go and dig about in the puddles to find small frogs. It was so long ago!

Banana bread has to be one of my all time favourites. I shared a birthday with a great Aunt (Lang) and she would always make Banana bread. So combined with a nice bag of cheep bananas I had a bit of a hunt for a nice recipe. Harder than you might think. I found a simple one but I got stumped with 1/3 cup of MELTED butter. How the hell do you figure that out? How much butter is that?? What on earth is a cup? Gah! So you could go to those convert pages but its a lot of fiddling... in the end I found a GREAT recipie. I feel a little naughty- I didn't get the site name but I will go back and find it. (got it!)

  • 125g margarine or butter (see? so much easier already!)
  • 400ml flour (i used a jug in the end with ml! it works... I am crazy.)
  • 125ml of sugar (1/2 cup) Ok, more confusing but I went with about 125g.. I think you could easily use less.. brown or white. 
  • 3 large eggs
  • 3 bananas- large
  • 3ml of vanilla essance (I used a little vanilla sugar)
  • pinch of salt
  • pinch of bicarbonate of soda
  • 2 tsp baking powder
  • 3 tablespoons of milk
To get the actual mixing if you want to do it perfectly go to the web site link! I just kind of ramed it all in a bowl and mixed it up. Can't go wrong!!

Since I didn't have a bread tin I made mini cakes... also good! Finaly using those random bake forms cluttering up my cupboard I was given. Ha!

Mmmmhhhmmm.... warm banana bread



Enjoy!!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...